Double Irish Chain

Back in high school I made a really beautiful quilt for my boyfriend at the time. The pattern was called True Lover’s Knot and involved nine patches (this isn’t mine but it looks almost identical). I used a navy blue fabric and a white on white so it was still masculine and very sharp. It is a gorgeous quilt that I hope he still enjoys using. I finished it 2004 and since then my mother has gone on and on about how much she loved it and that she wants one identical to it (she has a love for little squares lol). So this year since I knew I was going on the quilt retreat I decided it would be a great time to make my mom her quilt. There was one catch tho, I didn’t want to use the same pattern. It just seemed weird and I didn’t want to make the same exact quilt. She and Roy deserved their own pattern. Now, there is NO shortage of quilt patterns that have small squares so I didn’t have any problems finding one that she and I liked. We decided on the Double Irish Chain. Roy is part Irish, it was mostly little squares, and I could easily be made in Navy and White. The book that I found the pattern in had the quilt coming out to be the size of a full. My mom has a California King bed, so some adjustments definitely had to be made. I double the fabric amounts it listed and that would be more than enough for the top. WRONG. I cut the fabric I thought it would require before the retreat, thinking to myself “now all I have to do is sew it at the retreat!”. When it came time to work, I was seriously disappointed to find out that I needed to cut MORE fabric and then to see that all the fabric I had bought was used up. Now obviously this didn’t ruin the quilt or anything, I just don’t like it when things don’t work out the way I hope they would. I was still able to get a good amount of work done, but I can’t help but wonder  how much progress I would have made if I hadn’t had to spend my time cutting. SO, here is what I was able to get done:

I was able to complete 2 rows! It’s a little hard to really see the pattern but that will change as I put more rows on. When I put this on my moms bed to see how it would fit, it still wasn’t big enough. So, instead of having to take apart the end of the row to add more blocks, I’m going to sew there as columns instead. Luckily that won’t change the pattern of the quilt.
The first block is made up of just the 2 inch squares. The second block has a navy rectangle with a navy and white strip. This will make the Navy look almost like diamonds. When I’m totally finished I’ll go through and snip all the thread to clean it up. Over all I think it’s going to be a very nice quilt and my mom is going to love it. And even better, Roy won’t feel like he’s sleeping under some lady blanket haha. I don’t think I’ll be able to have it finished by Christmas but I do hope to have more of it done within the month. I’ll certainly post my progress as it gets bigger!                                   

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s